Monday, June 25, 2012

South Austin Food Trailers

I love Austin food trailers.  I think the idea is genius and super convenient.  We went to the South Congress location. We went to The Mighty Cone, Wurst Tex, Frigid Frog Shaved Ice, and Hey Cupcake!

At the Mighty Cone we shared a chicken cone, fried pickles, and Chili dusted fries.  First let me just say, I love fried chicken.  Fried chicken is such a comfort, down home, southern food.  Mighty Cone's twist on fried chicken with their sesame seed, almond, chili flake, and corn flake batter is brilliant.   I think I said "mmmm" after every bite.  Seriously delicious.  The chicken also had an ancho sauce and coleslaw in the cone.  I think it was my favorite thing.  Mike loved the chili dusted fries.  Well, and fried pickles, you can't go wrong with those!

At Wurst Tex, they have probably the best "Wurst" that I have had.  I just went with the tried and true classic bratwurst and it was great.

At Frigid Frog Shaved Ice, Mike and I each got a shaved ice.  We live in Texas, so a snow cone on pretty much any day is sooo refreshing.  They make theirs with pure cane sugar and water unlike the corn syrup in most snow cones.  This was by far the best shaved ice we had ever had.  It was very creamy and pure yumminess!  We didn't try it but something they had that was very cool was a "Stuffed Snowball" which was a scoop of vanilla ice cream in the bottom of a shaved ice.  That just sounded so awesome!  They also have Dog snow cones and that is just too cool!

We also grabbed two cupcakes to go.  We got a John Lemon and Sweetberry cupcake.  I struggled with even posting this because we weren't sure if we wanted to post any negative reviews, but inevitably decided to go ahead.  Honestly, we weren't impressed with the cupcakes.  They weren't bad by any means, but they just weren't our favorite either.  I think the cupcake industry in Austin is pretty competitive and if I had to pick a favorite, Hey Cupcake just wouldn't be it.

Overall, the food trailer experience was a great one.  We can't wait to try some of the other cool places too!

No comments:

Post a Comment